In last month’s issue, a political column was introduced with the differences and backgrounds of both the Democratic and Republican Parties. This article is the next step of political wealth and knowledge!
Did you know that more than 75% of the Donovan community is not illegible to vote in the 2012 Election? So why should we be educated on the differences between Democrats and Republicans, or their party nominees, Barack Obama and Mitt Romney? The answer is simple: at some point in every high school student’s life, they will NEED to know these differences and its never to early to learn!
Willard Mitt Romney is the Republican candidate for the 2012 Presidential Election taking place on November 6, 2012. Romney was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan practicing the Mormon faith. He is a family man with a wife, Ann Romney, and five boys. What a crazy house that must be! Romney studied at Stanford University and Brigham Young University for his Bachelor’s Degrees and Harvard University for his Master’s and Juris-Doctor Degree. He has been a businessman, politician and author throughout his professional life. He will be running with Paul Ryan during the election. Mitt Romney’s positions and ideas for the 2012 Presidential year consist of…
- Economy– lower corporate tax rates across the board and cut Bush taxes, regulation to encourage business and “non-security discretionary government spending” to reduce deficit.
- Healthcare– repeal Obama’s 2010 healthcare plans and encourages individuals to purchase their own health insurance rather than rely on their employers.
- Immigration– begins by making English the official language of the US and cut the tuition breaks that draw people into this country illegally.
- Iraq– to minimize casualties and maintain a democratic government in Iraq, but keep the US there for now.
- Global Warming and the Environment– he supports Keystone XL pipeline, and opposes the cap-and-trade legislation, which is an enviromental policy tool that delivers results with a mandatory cap on emissions while providing flexible sources to how each comply
- Gay Rights– opposes same-sex marriages and supports legal unions, along with the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” favoring gays serving openly in the military.
- Abortion– opposes Roe v. Wade and believes the state should be allowed to ban abortions or not.
- Indefinite Detention– would have signed the National Defense Authorization Act as it is currently, specifying the budget and expenditures of the US Department of Defense
- Military Intervention– if this occurred, Romney would consult with lawyers on legality but believes the President has the right to do what he believes makes the country safer.
- Free Speech– no public position.
- Iran– must keep troops in Iran until there is a military option to remove them.
Check out some of Mitt Romney’s videos!
Barack Hussein Obama is the 2012 Democratic nominee for the Presidential Election and is running with Joe Biden. Obama is very much known for his family and their togetherness. He is helped immensely by his wife, Michelle Obama, an amazing speaker and role model. He was born in Honolulu, Hawaii studied at Columbia University as well as Harvard Law School. Throughout his life he has been a lawyer, politician, author and currently resides as our President of the United States of America. As President Obama runs for a reelection in the 2012 Elections happening in two months, and he will take on these positions…
- Economy– repeal Bush tax cuts for households earning more than $250,000, he would lower taxes on manufacturing industry. He would stimulate spending and tax cuts to grow the economy on a short-term level and cut spending and raise taxes on the wealthy to reduce deficit on a long-term scale.
- Healthcare– signed the 2010 Healthcare overhaul bill that calls for patient protections allowing coverage for pre-existing conditions. It does not allow insurers to cancel policies when patients get sick and require health insurance.
- Immigration– supports legalization for illegal immigrants that includes learning English and paying fines.
- Iraq– opposed invasion from the beginning and troop increase. Obama would like to end military operations in Iraq.
- Global Warming and the Environment– supports a mandatory cap-and-trade system to reduce carbon emissions. Unlike Romney, Obama opposes the Keystone XL pipeline.
- Gay Rights– supports same-sex marriage
- Abortion– Supports Roe v. Wade and upheld the ban on partial-birth abortions.
- Indefinite Detention– publicly opposed but debated that language excluding American citizens be removed.
- Military Intervention– publicly opposed wars and intervention but has recently supported the expanding Afghan conflict into Pakistan.
- Free Speech– Signed the NR 347 allowing the Secret Service to limit protest based upon threat assessment.
- Iran– very engaged in direct diplomacy, has a tight economic cooperation, but has kept military in Iran through the last four years
Check out some of Barack Obama’s videos!
The 2012 Presidential Candidates are both very successful and eager to finish their campaign in hopes to win the Election. All people have flaws and have made mistakes, so if you are voting this year, I encourage you to vote on which YOU think the best president would be. Every vote counts, so don’t sleep in and miss your first chance to impact the American government through the voting system!
By: Ansley Jordan